Join the growing number of parents/guardians who are ENROLLING in Apex Community School.
Families may still take advantage of PRIORITY ENROLLMENT up until January 22, 2017, even though the DCSD Enrollment Tool is now closed.
Apex is partnering with the DCSD to continue priority enrollment through an alternative online enrollment process. Click on the box below to begin the process.
This new enrollment process applies to families who were UNABLE to enroll prior to December 1, 2017. This DOES NOT apply to families who were successful enrolling through the DCSD EngageEd portal by Dec 1.
The second DCSD Open Enrollment Window begins on January 22, 2018.
Enrollment at Apex Community School
Apex Partners with DCSD to use the DCSD Enrollment Process
1. Official enrollment in Apex begins by clicking the ENROLL button above and completing that online document.
- Please complete the information requested for EACH child that you are interested in enrolling.
- You will then receive a Docusign form to complete for EACH child that you are enrolling. This Docusign form includes required DCSD information. Please sign this form electronically and submit.
- Your enrollment information will be submitted to the DCSD.
- You will need to log into your DCSD EngagED parent portal within the following week to ACCEPT your enrollment offer(s). At this point, the enrollment process for your student(s) is complete!
- If you are new to DCSD and/or do not have an account with EngagED, you will need to establish a new account. Please contact us at email@example.com for information about setting up an account.
- If you have any questions, please email us a firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. First Enrollment Window Strategy:
- The first enrollment window for the 2017-2018 school year is currently active.
- The first enrollment window offers priority enrollment.
- Waiting lists, which are prioritized according to Board of Education Policy JCA/JFB-R, will be created if the number of applicants exceeds space available at the requested school.
- The DCSD second enrollment window will be from January 22 to August 1st, 2018, and will be granted on a "first come, first serve" basis.
3. Preschool Enrollment:
- Please note that Apex Community School will open in 2018-19 with grades Kindergarten through 6th only.
- The Apex Preschool program will not be available for families until the 2021-22 school year.
- In the meantime, please utilize either the private or DCSD preschools available in Castle Rock.
- If you are interested in registering your child for a DCSD preschool, please use the DCSD preschool enrollment process.
What Happens AFTER Enrolling through DCSD EngageEd?
This process ONLY applies to those families who enrolled directly through DCSD before December 1, 2017.
After enrolling through the DCSD enrollment process, you will need to ACCEPT the offer to enroll your student at Apex via electronic notification from DCSD.
- Families who enrolled their children at Apex during the first enrollment window will be notified of being offered an available spot through the open enrollment tool by December 8, 2017.
- You can log back into EngagED parent portal on or after December 9, 2017, to check offers you have received.
- Parents must then ACCEPT an open enrollment offer made by Apex by December 15th, 2017, at 4pm, via the EngageEd parent portal.
- If your open enrollment request is not accepted by a school, or you don't log in and accept your offer, you will automatically be placed on the second round open enrollment waitlist.
Apex Enrollment Priorities:
1. The Founding Family Advantage:
- The only way to guarantee enrollment at Apex is to complete a Letter of Interest, become a Founding Family for Apex Community School by completing all the required steps AND enroll in the DCSD online enrollment process.
- To learn more about becoming a Founding Family, click here.
2. Apex provides a Weighted Lottery for students of targeted enrollment groups.
- Apex will use a weighted lottery for three different targeted enrollment groups.
- Upon being identified as a students with a disabling condititon, a student who qualifies for free or reduced lunch and/or a student who is an English language learner, said student will be given 2 entries in the formal enrollment process versus one entry for other students.
- Please work with us to identify who that student may be so that they may benefit from the weighted lottery.
It's not your imagination!
Wait lists for Core Knowledge schools are extensive and enrollment for new students is slow going!
Currently there are nine Core Knowledge schools that have grades K-8 and are operating in Castle Rock or within a "reasonable" distance from Castle Rock (Highlands Ranch, Castle Pines and Parker). As of January, these schools reported combined wait lists of over 12,000.* Within Castle Rock itself, there are only two Core Knowledge schools and they reported combined waiting lists were over 2,000*. It is not your imagination. There is high demand for Core Knowledge charter schools in general, and Castle Rock is no exception.
Additionally, the Long Range Planning Committee for the Douglas County School District has identified to the Board of Education that Castle Rock has an “immediate need” for another elementary school given its recent and projected growth. With that sort of growth comes more families that will want a Core Knowledge charter school, and it stands to reason that the waiting lists for such schools will continue to grow as well.
Apex Community School is seeking to help meet this need by the fall of 2018. In order to open the doors of another Core Knowledge charter school to meet the demand, the Board of Education has asked that our Board and growing number of volunteers secure Letters of Interest to demonstrate this demand.