Open Enrollment Window
Open enrollment for each school year will end at the close of business (4:00pm MST) of the date set each year by the DCSD. For 2017, the Round One open enrollment window ends on December 1, 2017 with the window “opening” on November 1, 2017. To stay informed with helpful email reminders and tutorials, be sure you complete a Letter of Interest using this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DJNMQVM
Open Enrollment Process
Utilizing the District’s Open Enrollment Tool, if the number of Intent to Enroll Forms received is less than or equal to the number of student spaces available for any grade (K-6th), the school will extend an invitation to enroll to every student for whom a completed Intent to Enroll Form was received prior to the end of the initial Open Enrollment Period as stated above. Should the number of Intent to Enroll Forms received by the Open Enrollment deadline be higher than the number of available spaces, all students for the oversubscribed grade will be assigned a randomized identification number, one per family to be used in a lottery.
K-6th grades will be filled, starting with 6th grade and working down. If a grade is not oversubscribed, then all students in that grade will be enrolled. If a grade is oversubscribed, then a lottery will be held to fill that grade. When a student is enrolled, their younger siblings will be enrolled in their respective grades prior to the lottery for that grade level, providing there is room. Multiple birth children (e.g. twins, triplets, etc…) will be enrolled together regardless of class size
When there is a surplus of enrollees a lottery is necessary. The lottery process will be conducted in conjunction with the DCSD. Intent to Enroll Forms received by the school prior to the close of the Open Enrollment Period, including those received by families who have previously submitted an Intent to Enroll Form and not requested that their name be removed, and have not been extend an invitation to enroll, will be assigned a computer-generated, randomized number, one number per family. This number will be assigned for the upcoming academic year only. Enrollment vacancies will be filled by grade, beginning with the highest grade for which there is one or more vacancies, and will continue in descending order (grade 8, grade 7, etc…) until all vacancies are filled. Invitations to enroll will first be extended to families assigned the lowest lottery number. The lottery process will be overseen by the DCSD to ensure integrity in the process.
This lottery-generated wait list will be maintained until the Round Two enrollment period, when a lottery list is generated to fill vacancies for the current school year.
The lottery will be weighted for those students that have special needs, are English language learners and/or qualify for free and reduced lunches. These students shall be given two lottery numbers rather than one. Only for the purposes of allowing you to receive an admission preference in the lottery, please let us know if your child(ren) is/are “educationally disadvantaged” in any of the following ways:
- English language learner
- Eligible for Free and Reduced Lunch and/or
- Currently on an IEP or 504 plan
Enrollment Acceptance and Parameters
- First round open enrollment is not first-come, first-served; parents have until December 1st to complete this process
- A confirmation email will be sent to you after your request has been submited
- Schools have until December 8th to offer you an open enrollment slot, based on space availability. You can log back into the Open Enrollment Tool on or after December 9th to check your status
- You have until December 15th to accept an open enrollment offer from a school through the Open Enrollment Tool
- If your application is not accepted by any school, or you didn't log in and accept your offer, you will automatically be placed on the Second Round open enrollment list, which runs from January 22 to August 1st and, if numbers warrant it, a second lottery will be held as applicable
- If you are open enrolled at a neighborhood school or attend a charter but would like to return to the neighborhood school associated with your address for the next school year you must file an intent to return form by 1/5/2018
- If you are moving within the district but would like to remain at your current school, you may do so my filing an intent to remain form
While siblings are not guaranteed placement, they will be given priority for enrollment as noted above. Every effort will be made to ensure enrollment for siblings in the future.
Equity in Enrollment
It is the intent of Apex to be fair and equitable to all potential students. Apex will not discriminate against any student based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, ancestry, age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or need for special education. Students with disabilities, “at-risk” students and gifted and talented students will be enrolled in the same manner as other students.
For more information, visit the Douglas County School District website at: https://www.dcsdk12.org/open-enrollment##